Friends of Odderøya

THE STORIES FROM ODDERØYA

The gunpowder house on Søndre battery

Throughout the years from the city's foundation until Odderøya was closed in 1995, Kristiansand has been a significant garrison town in Norway. It is regrettable that a place has not yet been found in Kristiansand where it has been possible to show the importance the defense has had for the city's development.

The powder magazine at Søndre Batteri was completely restored in 2013, and is used today to show and tell the history of Odderøya.

 

Perhaps you are also interested in reading about this?

The cannons on Odderøya

There have been fortifications on the island since 1667. In the years that followed, the business varied between development and decay depending on the economy and the prevailing political situation in the Nordics and Europe in general.
Drawing of Odderøya with ships on the sea

A little history about Odderøya

The island, which was originally a peninsula, was separated from the mainland in about 1660 by an excavated channel. After the canal was completed, the connection to Odderøya was maintained using boats, later over a swing bridge. It was replaced in the early 1930s by a fixed road bridge.