Friends of Odderøya

Logo for Odderøyas venner



On 1 July 1831, around 100 ships arrived and were quarantined


On 1 July 1831, around 100 ships arrived and were quarantined. This year was a difficult year so that Hannevika also had to be used as a quarantine port. From the beginning, it was intended that the quarantine station in Kristiansand should serve Norway, Denmark and Holstein. For a time it was international in that several European states contributed. If larger or more ships arrived at once, they therefore had to lie on the nest for the "mooring ring" (mooring ring) which was placed in a suitable place to give the larger ships perfect safety. On the largest islet - Blegerøya - in the quarantine harbour, a warehouse was built which was used for disinfecting the cargo by smoking, cleaning and airing.
The quarantine harbor's original name was Hullet or Odderøyhullet, which was used until the hospital was built. The innermost part was called Bendiksbukta. In the 1880s and 1890s, the bay closest to the cemetery was called Kjerregårdsbukta by many.

Some of the ships that entered the karate harbor had had deaths caused by cholera on board. On such ships there was a thorough cleaning and airing, partly also smoking of cargo and rooms. The patients who died in the infirmary were buried in the Cholera cemetery. Before the quarantine station was built, plague victims were buried in the hospital cemetery. Eastern beach battery is located on the hill southeast of the cholera cemetery.
Sometimes the soldiers called the battery "Alkebatteriet".

Perhaps you are also interested in reading about this?

New updated boards are posted

Camping is prohibited on Odderøya!