Friends of Odderøya

Logo for Odderøyas venner

The stories from Odderøya

The exhibition at Østre Batteri

The exhibition shows part of the equipment that was used by Odderøya fort during the Cold War.

The ammunition laboratory and the gunpowder houses on Odderøya

Brief history of Odderøya's north-west side, where the Fortress and Navy's cannonballs and gunpowder were stored and maintained from the mid-19th century.
Drawing of Odderøya with ships on the sea

A little history about Odderøya

The island, which was originally a peninsula, was separated from the mainland in about 1660 by an excavated channel. After the canal was completed, the connection to Odderøya was maintained using boats, later over a swing bridge. It was replaced in the early 1930s by a fixed road bridge.
Exterior of the fireplace room from Stein Nygård's postcard collection

Fireplace living room area

This is an area with long traditions in the city and for the city's population. Even while there was still military activity on Odderøya, the city's citizens had access to this place and knew how to use it
Red guns at Søndre battery

The cannons on Odderøya

There have been fortifications on the island since 1667. In the years that followed, the business varied between development and decay depending on the economy and the prevailing political situation in the Nordics and Europe in general.

The gunpowder house on Søndre battery

Throughout the years from the city's foundation until Odderøya was closed in 1995, Kristiansand has been a significant garrison town in Norway. It is regrettable that a place has not yet been found in Kristiansand where it has been possible to show the importance the defense has had for the city's development.