It was as early as 1894 that Kristiansand and the Opplands Tourist Association took the initiative to build a log cabin on Odderøya. The association was then no more than seven years old, and this was a big boost. The fireplace room was located on the north-west side of the island, up the hillside from where the silokaia is now. Today, this is referred to as area six. At the time, this was a military area, but the military authorities gave permission to build a restaurant, build walking paths and build a viewpoint on the top of the island. The Tourist Association was responsible for all of this. Peisestua was opened on 18 September 1894, and it happened with a bang. The brigade commander had made the brigade music available. Probably around 3,000 people were present at the opening. And this became a very popular place for the city's population and for tourists who visited the city.
From 1895 there was regular operation of the fireplace room and at the end of April the following advertisement appeared in the newspapers of the time: "The fireplace room on Odderøen will be open for use from May 1st. Ferry money is paid to the ferryman in Gravene: 2 øre for Voxne and 1 øre for children – Tour and Return”
From the annual report for the Tourist Association in 1905, we can read "it is hoped that, through an arrangement, someone will be allowed to order dinner, hold afternoon tea or the like at the scenic spot near the town, to be able to offer both tourists and the town's own people a beautiful and pleasant place to spend your free time”
The Peisestua was not run by the Tourist Association for many years. As early as 1914, proposals were made at the general meeting to transfer it to the Byselskapet or to Kristiansand municipality. But it was not until 1919 that the fireplace cabin was sold to the municipality for NOK 6,000. As a curiosity, it can be mentioned that in 1971 the Tourist Association received a request from the Norwegian Navy if anyone was interested in taking over the Fireplace Cabin, which was then to be demolished. But takeover was out of the question.
Parts of the foundation wall where the fireplace room stood can still be seen.
Written by Harald Flå